Monday, January 08, 2007

Madrid

I visited Spain in November 2005 and hope to return within the next year. Easily a country I could see living in permanently. The people know how to live, when to work, when to relax and how to eat.
I spent a few days in Madrid and while it was definitely not one of my favorite destinations, I did find certain aspects of the city wonderful. The Prado Museum is breathtaking and worth an entire day. The great Spanish painters, Velazquez and Goya are prominent as are an amazing collection of nudes by Ruben, Titian and others. The audioguide is well worth the money and a fun way to learn about the art.
The nightlife in Madrid is legendary and well worth the reputation. Try the areas around the Plaza de Santa Barbara or Paseo de la Castellana. The hardest adjustment at the beginning of my stay, was adapting to the late, late nights. Restaurants don't even open until 8 or 9 in the evening and leaving for a dinner reservation at 11:00 p.m. was the norm. The food is more than tapas, beer is local and the wine, well I can't say enough about the wine. After dinner, strolling the cobblestone streets at 1 or 2 in the morning, with thousands of people, families and tourists is really an experience.
Avoid the public transportation, pickpockets are rampant. Cabs are easy to hail but walking is the best way to see Madrid.
Another memorable experience, a massage in my hotel room. Definitely not like in America. Full body and totally naked. And EVERYTHING was massaged. My husband loves that story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home