Thursday, May 10, 2007

London calling

London. In a past life, I was English. In this life I am a committed anglophile. As far back as I can remember, I have loved everything English and it seems as though I have waited all my life to live there. On my first trip over a decade ago, I fell in love with the city, like someone might fall in love with a lover. Passionately. When I first stepped off the plane, I cried, seriously it was pathetic.
In 2004 I took my son to London and enjoyed the city even more by showing it to someone I had talked about it with for his entire life. He loved it almost as much as I did. I had waited 12 years for him to be old enough to remember and to appreciate the trip.
So what is "my London". Well it's the sections of the city that I love. It's the history, the language, the tradition, all the silly things really that Americans love that we don't have here in the US. Where do I stay? Well I have stayed in the big hotels and the small B&B's, in the homes of friends and in small charming townhomes. The worst by far was a small hotel, near Victoria Station. I honestly don't remember the name, but I remember the place. Tiny, entrance was under the street and the room...god, it was awful. The bathroom was so small, that to shower, you sat on the toilet and water poured through a hole in the ceiling. Where the water came from I have no idea. That was when I traveled in my 20's, I no longer have the patience or the desire to "rough" it while backpacking.
One of the best places to stay, is a lovely little hotel called the Luna & Simone on Belgrave Road, SW1V. The location is terrific, the #24 bus stops right in front of the hotel and takes you to Victoria Station, Westminster, Leicester Square and more. The price can't be beat, the rooms are clean and the breakfast is delicious. The staff is very friendly and helpful and make you feel at home. The room I stayed at in 2004 was large, 2 beds, 1 tucked in an alcove, and a nice bathroom.
Other delights in London, the food. I have had excellent sushi, Indian and African food in the capital and could dedicate an entire post just to the gastronomical delights. Wanna spend a fun hour looking at food delights, then visit Harrod's. What a treat, and food I have never seen before or since.
For a few hours a day, I can enjoy visiting the tourist sections of London, the Tower, the Dungeon, the museums, the bridges, Big Ben, Parliament, Kensington etc. Westminster Abbey is amazing, and the audio tour is well worth the time and the donation. When I was there in 2001, my mother, sister and I nearly ran into the Queen's husband Prince Phillip. I have a funny picture that was snapped in a rush as he stepped into his private car.
How do I enjoy an afternoon? Tea, shopping, Highgate Cemetery, Hampstead Heath, Kew Bridge, Tate Modern, and pubs. A weekend, shopping in Notting Hill, house hunting in Highgate Hill, boats at St. Catherine's Dock, Kensington Roof Gardens, St. Martin in the Fields, and then dinner at a chanced upon pub.
I think I will blog soon about my time in London during the week after Princess Diana's funeral. Surreal and absolutely unforgettable. The flower tributes, the sadness, the candles, the utter loss the people felt, it was overwhelming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home